Aging well is a global priority. Sweden, like many other countries, confronts significant challenges due to population aging. Estimates suggest that nearly a quarter of the population of Sweden will be sixty five years or older by 2050. Longer life expectancies and steady retirement ages are boosting the support ratio, creating a need for new ways to provide and pay for high quality long term care.
Sweden is taking clear action to respond to the needs of its older citizens. The country was recently ranked number one on a global index based on income, health, employment, education, and building an enabling environment for aging adults. ACCESS Health Sweden documents promising practices in long term care in Sweden and its neighboring countries like Norway and Denmark. The Swedish office also partners with innovative thinkers in both the public and private sectors to improve the quality of long term care.
Healthcare Delivery SystemsSee all Healthcare Delivery Systems
ACCESS Health works to improve healthcare delivery systems for the elderly in Sweden. Our studies focus on remote monitoring that seniors and healthcare providers use to improve the quality of elder care. We study the integration of patient record systems regionally and nationally, including data exchange systems that cover municipal care organizations, private providers, and emergency hospitals. We focus on innovative elder care models, such as mobile emergency teams and mobile doctors. Healthcare in Sweden is undergoing a shift from traditional geriatric clinics in large regional hospitals to local community wards for seniors. We also study the role of national quality registries in quality and process management and in ensuring access to care of equal quality across Sweden.
Business EngagementSee all Business Engagement
ACCESS Health Sweden initiated the Modern Aging program designed to encourage entrepreneurs to create business for the elderly. Modern Aging Sweden inspired similar Modern Aging programs in Singapore and China. ACCESS Health Sweden also evaluates the cost effectiveness of healthcare solutions for the elderly.
Elder and Long Term CareSee all Elder and Long Term Care
ACCESS Health Sweden analyzes how specific programs and policies improve and modernize care for older adults. Because we are locally based, ACCESS Health Sweden is able to participate in the response to the aging population in the country and to identify strengths and weaknesses in the elderly care strategies of the country. We use this knowledge to discuss challenges and opportunities with Swedish national and local leaders and to inspire and guide other countries as they seek to improve care for their own people.
Healthcare TechnologySee all Healthcare Technology
ACCESS Health Sweden studies eHealth technologies in Northern Europe. In this effort, we study the information infrastructure that underpins the healthcare systems. We study the design, history, context, and application of eHealth. eHealth is a term that encompasses a range of software applications in healthcare, such as patient record systems, prescription databases, and image exchanges. The ACCESS Health team has chosen to study the Estonian eHealth and eGovernance systems. Estonia has invested heavily since the early 1990s in building its eHealth infrastructure.
In Sweden, we study the Swedish eHealth system and the newly established eHealth Department, a new branch of the Swedish government. We also look at how regional healthcare systems apply national standards and implement eHealth services.
- Transcript: Aleris: Improving Dementia Care and Care of the Elderly
- Transcript: Case Study: The Lidköping Close Care System and Mobile Teams
- Transcript: Case Study: The Mobile Emergency Team for the Elderly in Uppsala
- Transcript: Case Study: The Most Fragile Elderly Project
- Transcript: Coordinating Care for the Elderly: Interview with Carina Kumlin and Pia Lagerström
- Transcript: eHealth in Sweden: Interview with Patrik Sundström
- Transcript: eHealth Technologies and the Future of Healthcare: Interview with Henrik Ahlen
- Transcript: eHomecare: How Technology is Revolutionizing Homecare in Sweden
- Transcript: Interview with Stéphanie Treschow
- Transcript: Is the Use of Welfare Technology Profitable?
- Transcript: Modern Aging: A Practical Guide for Developers, Entrepreneurs, and Startups in the Silver Market
- Transcript: Stiftelsen Silviahemmet: A Palliative Approach to Dementia Care
- Transcript: Supporting Relatives and Informal Caregivers: Interview with Christianne Simson
- Transcript: Technology for the Elderly Program: Interview with Raymond Dahlberg
- Transcript: Technology for the Elderly: Focus Group
- Transcript: TioHundra Case Study Part One: Company Overview
- Transcript: TioHundra Case Study Part Two: Care Homes and Integrated Elder Care
- Transcript: TioHundra Case Study Part Three: A Focus on Quality
- Transcript: TioHundra Case Study Part Four: Homecare, Home Healthcare, and Integrating Care for the Elderly
- Transcript: TioHundra Case Study Part Five: A Changing Organization